Northwest Certified Forestry is offering a hands-on training program for small woodland owners who are interested in conducting their own timber harvest.
Topics to be covered include:
• Thinning and tree selection
• Harvest planning and layout
• Permitting and regulations
• Equipment and tools
• Precision tree felling techniques
• Chainsaw maintenance
• Low-impact, small-scale log yarding techniques
• Log grading, manufacturing and marketing
Because harvest planning, tree selection, and safe and accurate tree felling are the most important aspects of conducting a small-scale harvest, the first two days of the program will focus exclusively on these topics. The majority of the training will be spent in the woods learning felling techniques. Day 2 is hands on.
The yarding day 3 will introduce participants to basic harvest planning and layout, how to grade and buck logs, the use of small-scale equipment for low-impact yarding, and log marketing.
Equipment to be demonstrated will include:
• ATV quad and logging arch
• Small tractor and Farmi winch
• Cable and block-and-tackle
June 7th, 8th, 9th, 2012
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
McKenna Forest Reserve, McKenna (near Olympia), WA
More information: Kirk Hanson, 360-316-9317, or email: kirk at nnrg-org
Felling cost: $375
Yarding cost: $150